For more info, go to: http://submissions.johnjosephadams.com/poc-destroy-horror/submit/
and close at 11:59 p.m. ET on May 15, 2016.
This is the submissions portal for our People of Colo(u)r Destroy Horror! special issue. Please read NIGHTMARE’s general guidelinesbefore submitting and also note the additional special issue guidelines below. NOTE: NIGHTMARE is currently only open to submissions for this special issue.
FROM THE EDITORS
According to Wikipedia, person of colour is a term used primarily in the United States to describe any person who is not white. It seems somewhat more appropriate than the term “visible minority” since in many parts of the world “visible minorities” actually constitute the majority. Person of colour is a malleable term, writers who self-identity as such are invited to submit.
Editor Ellen Datlow defines horror as “the genre of unease.” Horror fiction does not have to contain ghosts or zombies to be horror, what the genre seeks to do is inspire a feeling of dread. “Carmilla” is horror, but so is Horacio Quiroga’s “The Feather Pillow.”
Editor Silvia Moreno-Garcia is looking for previously unpublished horror short stories of up to 7500 words, reflective of the issue’s theme, written by writers of colour. She is looking for strong, distinctive voices, featuring a variety of settings and time periods. Although we will not be able to publish all stories sent to us, Moreno-Garcia thanks all writers in advance for the chance to look at their work.
- Who are the guest editors for the special issue? Silvia Moreno-Garcia is our overall guest editor and she will also be selecting and editing the original short stories (1500-7500 words); our other section editors are to be named later.
- Who can submit stories for consideration for the special issue? Anyone who identifies as a person of colo(u)r.
- I identify as a POC. What can I submit? Horror short stories, up to 7500 words. Dark fantasy–which for PDH will be defined as works set in a secondary world with magical elements–will not be considered, so please save it for our POC Destroy Fantasy! special issue.
- What kind of horror? All kinds! We enjoy horror with or without supernatural elements, with or without science fictional elements, with or without gore–if it’s scary, dark, or disturbing, we want to read it. Horror with fantastical elements might fit the bill, but we are not looking for anything set in a secondary, magical world for this special issue.
- How long is the submission period? Submissions open April 1, 2016 and will close at 11:59 p.m. ET on May 15, 2016.
- How should I format my submission? For POC Destroy submissions, the guest editor requests that you submit your manuscript instandard manuscript format.
- When can I expect a response to my submission? We will endeavor to reply as quickly as possible to submissions, but since assembling the special issue is similar to assembling an anthology, stories being seriously considered may be held until June 15, 2016 to allow our editors to consider everything before making their final decisions.
- How many stories and how often may I submit? Our usual policy of allowing authors to only submit a story once every 7 days is lifted for this issue; so while you may only submit one at a time, you can send in something else as soon as we pass on the first one.
- What is the pay rate? For the special issue, we are offering a special pay rate of 8 cents per word.
- What about reprints? We haven’t lined up our reprint editor yet, but we likely will not be open to reprint submissions for the issue. Our Destroy reprint editors are chosen in part because of their extensive knowledge of the field, thus making reprint submissions, when we only have so few slots to fill, unnecessary.
- Can I submit a rejected story to NIGHTMARE in the future? All stories submitted to the special issue will also simultaneously be considered for regular issues of NIGHTMARE. So if you receive a rejection for the special issue, you can consider that story having been rejected by NIGHTMARE in general. If we end up with so many good stories we can’t fit them all in the special issue, we’ll take such “overflow” for regular issues of NIGHTMARE.
- Can I submit a story previously rejected by NIGHTMARE to PDH? Yes! Since it’s a different editorial team, it makes sense to allow them to consider such submissions. So if you have a story previously rejected by NIGHTMARE, feel free to submit it to the special issue.
- Is there anything you’re explicitly NOT looking for? Other than the fact that (a) the story needs to be by a POC author and (b) it has to be horror, please abide by the regular NIGHTMARE guidelines. The only two things that our guidelines for this or any issue of NIGHTMARE explicitly forbid are (a) erotica and (b) media-based fiction and/or fan fiction. Anything else is fair game.
- What about artwork? We are also looking for artists who identify as persons of color to submit work for the People of Colo(u)r Destroy Horror! issue. Payment is $200 for the cover illustration and $100 for story illustrations. Interested applicants should send an email with the subject line “POCs Destroy Horror Artists” to email@example.com with a link to images of your works.